May 29, 2015

Day 19: A Day of Shopping

Woke up this morning so relieved! I had a nice breakfast and then cleaned our disastrous house for a few hours in the morning. All 12 of us our living in a house together and considering we have been here a lot working on studio and all living in a tight space it really hasn't been that bad. But there was still trash and dishes everywhere so I had to do a little bit of cleaning up this morning to keep myself from going insane.

Our first stop in the morning was to an architecture firm here in Tokyo. Our teacher wanted us to be able to see a firm here in Japan and see how differently they operate. It was really fun trying to get all 14 of us to fit in a 6 person office that was so tiny! I don't know if I could ever work for an office this small, but I really enjoyed getting to see how they work. They also had a really nice library which inspired me more to get working on mine.


After the architecture office we headed to Harajuku to finally try some Japanese crepes! We were extremely hungry and we stopped at the first crepe stand we found which was not the best idea. I don't think these crepes were actually Japanese crepes, but probably just regular crepes that are in Japan. I was a little bit unimpressed, but next we went to a 5 story tall art supply store that I was impressed with.


The Sekaido store in Shinjuku was like every artist's dream with so many pens, pencils, drafting supplies and everything you could ever think of. Luckily I got through here without buying too much and everything was so cheap as well! I'm trying to bring supplies back that you can't find in the US.


Our last stop for today was at Gallery MA for a Sou Fujimoto exhibit. I really enjoyed this because all of his models were on display and we could take photos of anything we wanted to. It was really cool to see all of a really famous architects model, even the initial study models because it made me realize that models can literally be made out of anything and they don't have to be perfect. He had stuff made out of all sorts of materials from sticks to plastic bags to clothing tags to coffee cups. It was really cool to see how these simple materials could be used to illustrate the concepts he was looking at.


After this I headed back to Roppongi and stopped along the way at a few shops I've been wanting to go to because this is one of our last night staying at our Roppongi Villa. Back to hotels after this!

No comments:

Post a Comment